Wednesday, December 12, 2012

To Birth A Soul

The day when our lives were again changed forever in the most amazing way.
It's amazing to look at my beautiful baby girl and think that just a short 3 weeks ago she was tucked safely inside my womb.  To be able to bear children is a miracle that no matter how hard I try to comprehend why we're blessed with this Godly ability to create, I can never quite wrap my mind around it.  All I can do is thank God for allowing me to have and hold two of his most beautiful children.  I love being a mother more than anything else in this world.  It gets a little hairy around here when they're both crying, no, screaming at the same time and I'm trying my darndest to work my motherly magic.  But at the end of the day, I know that I've done what I was sent here to do, to love these two little angels with all that I am.  Life is good, it is so good.
Now, for Ailee Jane Gilbert's Birth Story:
Gran (my mom, aka Super Nanny) came on the 14th and did all the things that the best Grans in the world do.  Andy fell in love with her and I was reminded of how blessed I am to have such a beautiful woman as a mother.  She truly is a saint and Ailee will forever be blessed to know that she was named after her.  I hope she looks to her to learn some of life's greatest lessons.  
On the night of the 17th I called the hospital to see if I could come in to be induced.  We had been eagerly waiting since my scheduled induction date on the 15th, but with each call we were told "There are two people ahead of you...".  Finally, it was our turn!  They told us to be to the hospital by 9:30.  So we packed our bags and headed to Karen's where Andy would spend the night and the next day.  When we arrived they started me on pitocin and we settled in for a long night.  The nurse kept checking in on us and nothing was happening, so with each visit she would up my pitocin.  We were encouraged to get some rest so mom slept on the couch and Kevin curled up on a mat on the floor.  Needless to say, I couldn't sleep.  I laid looking out the window at the tree branches whipping in the wind.  I thought I was the only one not sleeping when Kevin sat up and told me he thought we should name our baby girl, Ailee Jane instead of Jane Ailee.  
Finally, morning came and I noticed a little bird's nest in the tree I had watched the night before.  I was amazed it survived the windy night.  With no contractions after a full night of pitocin my nurse came and said exactly what I was a little worried about, "Just to prepare you for the worst, sometimes we send ladies home with failed inductions."  Bummer!  I was ready to see my little girl!  But Dr. Turner came and told me otherwise, I was dilated to 2.5 cm and so he went ahead and broke my water.  The contractions came, Kevin and I did a few laps around the birthing center and then, with my mom's push of the red nurses' button, I was ready to  get my epidural.  By then I was at 3 cm and was told it takes about an hour to dilate for each cm.  I was ready then for a 7 hour wait.  Just when the nurse walked out I started to feel some pain which I thought was weird because the epidural had done it's job by then, so I called her back in and she checked me, "You're going to have a baby in 15 minutes!"  Woohoo!  And so, with some good pushing, she was here and I was reminded of how truly miraculous it is to hold your baby for the very first time.    She was absolutely perfect at 8 lbs 1 oz and 20 inches long.
Born at 3:00 on Sunday, November 18th.  
The day the world became a more beautiful place.












1 comment:

  1. Kris..this post was so beautiful! It brought tears to my eyes. Somedays being a mom is so hard, but most days, every second spent with these precious children is so precious and rewarding! Ailee is beautiful! Way to go mom!

    ReplyDelete