Saturday, January 14, 2012

10 days in 1

I know we've been MIA on here for 10 days now, not because I abandoned ship but because while I was in Hawaii with Kevin I decided not to blog.
Hawaii. There's something magical about that place. Different than Disney magic, nothing can replace that, but equally awesome. Relaxation is contagious on that island. If life ever allows, I'd love vacationing every other year trading between Disneyland and Hawaii. Two places I don't think I could ever get sick of. Aunt Lisa and Uncle Matt played Andy's mom and dad for the week and Andy loved being there. He learned his first understandable word, "nana". Which he said when I pulled out a banana for him the lunch after I came back, and then subsequently every time I went to feed him. So, "nana" is his blanket term for 'food' or 'feed me'. Oh man, I missed him. Hawaii though, Hawaii was awesome!
1/5: Dropped off Andy, deep breaths. Boarded the plane and arrived in HI at 10:00pm. Stepped off the plane and fell in love. The Hawaiin air was warm and smelt like teriyaki BBQ (it didn't always smell like this, there must have been a restaraunt nearby :)) and Kevin met me with a Leigh of plumeria flowers that smelt like heaven. We arrived at our beach house and find the ocean right in our backyard.
1/6: I toured around the north shore and soaked in the sites. Went on a date with Kevin to the Polynesian Cultural Center Evening Show. The fire throwers were our favorite.
1/7: For Kevin's day off we headed to the south shore for snorkeling at Hanauma Bay and a shore break beating at Sandy Beach, for which we got chided by the lifeguard on duty. We thought we were just having fun! Apparently our bones are lucky they didn't break. On our way home we stopped at the Dole Plantation for THE BEST pineapple icecream! I got it with pineapple chunks and Kevin got the float with pineapple juice. I was faced with a lot of food tempations in HI, I don't know how so many people wear bikinis there :/
1/8: After attending sacrament meeting with the Waialua Ward-whose members were incredibly awesome and totally welcoming, we loved them-we took the long route around the top of the island headed east to hike Manoa Falls. If was an awesome drive. After seeing most of the island, we decided where we were staying, in Waialua, was our favorite area. Everyone there called it 'the country'. And HI country is beautiful! While attempting to whale watch we saw some green sea turtles and then we finished the day by dining at Zippy's. It's a chain only in HI, it was like unto Denny's over here :).
1/9: (Can I move my plane tickets up to today? I need my baby back! No? Ok, keep enjoying your vacation Kristen.) And I did. I went to Pearl Harbor while Kevin was at work and toured the exhibits and visited the USS AZ Memorial. It was a really touching experience. Once in a video on the events, 12/7/1941 was described as the day the future of many men was taken away. There was a very reverent and respectful feeling on the memorial built above the sunken battle ship. It was a day very well spent, I was grateful I got to go.
1/10: As I did many of the days waiting for Kevin to get off work, I relaxed on the beach and whale watched. There were a lot of blue whales headed to Alaska and it was so fun to see them lollygag on their journey. Awesome animals. Once Kevin was off work we headed to the temple in Laie. That temple has got to be in the prettiest location ever. The grounds are amazing! The parking lot was unusually empty and we were informed the temple was closed for two weeks for cleaning. We were totally bummed but we still got to walk through the Visitor's Center. My favorite exhibit was a reminder that successful marriages and families are established and maintained on principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love, compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities. I am so grateful for a good man to have for a husband who upholds these principles. Again, another beautiful night in paradise.
1/11: This day was the day I decided to walk home after dropping off our rental car. Well, when the bus didn't show up when I thought it would I thought I would enjoy a walk my last day in the fresh Hawaiian air. The clouds decided to rain though, a lot, and I walked an hour in the rain. It was still beautiful, however, because when you're in beach wear and flip flops and it's 80 degrees, the rain is a lot of fun actually. Perfect way to spend my last day. After Kevin and I had one last dinner date he dropped my off and I was on my way to Andy!
1/12: The girls and Andy were looking out the window when I pulled up. I ran in and knelt on the ground and Andy crawled right up to me, smiled, and then slapped me in the face (that is how he says hello if he likes you :)...I need to work on that). And that all made the vacation absolutely perfect in every way!
1/13: Recouped and played with Lisa, Matt and the girls and caught up with Andy.
1/14: After Zumba with Lisa-which is so fun!-Andy and I headed for home. Tonight I am counting my blessings. A mother isn't complete without her baby. Now we just need Kevin to make it home to us. And there you have it! All of the missed days accounted for!
~I intend on adding pictures, just not tonight :)

No comments:

Post a Comment